- Get multiple quotes and be careful to compare “apples to apples”.
- Compare delivery timelines, length of install, and if there are any potential extra costs and get them in writing.
- Compare all warranties and service guarantees and get them in writing.
- Get a written, detailed quote listing all necessary materials and labour costs. Beware of the “blank contract” or the “hand shake”.
- Ask for references.
- Be sure you hire professional installers, who specialize in solar panel systems. Don’t leave it to a “handy man” or another trade. After all – you wouldn’t let your mechanic cut your hair, would you?
- Beware of high pressure salespeople telling you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear. This can be a large investment. You need to do it only once and properly. Everything that is done should be what is best for you, not anyone else. If it sounds like a gimmick, it probably is.
Now that you know how to approach the purchase of a solar panel system, take a look at the questions to ask a solar panel company, or you can request quotes and proposals from the leading solar panel companies in your area.